WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Rabidly misogynistic YouTube streamers and shows that espouse white male superiority, violence against women, and rape are being paid tens of thousands of dollars through the YouTube Partner Program. The hate spewed online is contributing to a rise in violence against women and other targeted groups.
YouTube's terms of service prohibit the hate speech that appears regularly on these shows, but YouTube has been extremely slow to demonetize streamers that promote hatred of women.
It's time for YouTube to enforce its policies. Send an email to the company now to demand that it STOP monetizing hate speech and demonetize shows that espouse hatred of women and other marginalized groups.
Remember: Feel free to personalize the letter with why you believe it's important that YouTube stop monetizing hate. As always, please be respectful in your letter.
1. YouTube suspends Russell Brand from making money off the streaming site after sex assault claims, the Associated Press, September 19, 2023
2. The host of manosphere podcast 'Fresh & Fit' choked up after announcing it had been demonetized on YouTube, Insider, August 22, 2023
3. Beyond Andrew Tate: Meet the misogynistic “manosphere” influencers proliferating across social media, Media Matters for America, March 16, 2023
4. It’s no coincidence the synagogue shooter posted about the ‘red pill movement,’ ThinkProgress, April 30, 2019
5. As his beliefs have seeped into homes and classrooms, children as young as 11 think Andrew Tate is their 'god, Business Insider, January 29, 2023